Where: Brighton Sewing Centre, North Road, Brighton
When: Tuesday evenings, fortnightly. 7pm till 9pm.
What do I need: Fabric, a rotary cutter and a hand sewing kit
Cost: £65 for four sessions, £125 for eight sessions, £185 for twelve sessions
This is an ongoing sampler class suitable for beginners who want to try different ways of sewing patchwork, or those with some experience who have a sampler quilt they wish to finish.
Each session starts with a demonstration of a block/technique, then students can make that block, or continue on a sampler quilt they have previously started.
If you book the whole twelve sessions you will make a quilt from start to finish, but there is the option to book a block of four or eight consecutive sessions if you already have blocks and are looking for some time, space and guidance to finish your sampler quilt (or are happy to make a smaller quilt/cushion).
What will you learn?
- Week 1 – English paper-piecing (9th January)
- Week 2 – Squares and rectangles (23rd January)
- Week 3 – Half-square triangles (6th February)
- Week 4 – Curved piecing (20th February)
- Week 5 – Courthouse Steps (6th March)
- Week 6 - Grandmother’s Fan (20th March)
- Week 7 – Flying Geese (10th April)
- Week 8 - Foundation piecing (24th April)
- Week 9 – Dresden Plate (8th May)
- Week 10 – Sashing and borders/or improv (22nd May)
- Week 11 – Quilting/or orange peel (5th June)
- Week 12 - Binding/or piecing using templates (19th June)
This class is suitable for absolute beginners as well as those that have some sewing experience. The class covers a mixture of hand and machine sewing. If you wish to make a large quilt there will be some sewing to finish off between the sessions. Handouts will be given for each block.
You will need to bring fabric with you. Taking a class at the Brighton Sewing Centre entitles you to 10% off fabric in the shop and we are always happy to help you pick the right fabric for your project.
Tea/coffee and biscuits are provided.