February 2018

My most exciting sewing news last month was that the tile sampler blocks were sewn finally together. The piece still needs a border, which being English paper-pieced is no mean feat, but to have them all together felt like an accomplishment. I tested the strength of my marriage by attempting to go outside and photograph it on a windy day, but we got there with not too many cross words!

tile quilt.jpg

Classes included my ongoing sampler, where we had a theme of curves. As I have a couple of beginners I wanted to design a very simple block in addition to a nine patch and four patch. I called this one Spring Sun as I made it on a very sunny day. Easy to do, it is a block you could make in an evening - as they did.


However, just as everyone was feeling spring-like snow descended over the UK at the end of the month in the week I was working in Hampshire on last few bits of the Jane Austen Community Quilt project. The house looked beautiful in the snow, and I managed to dodge the bad weather and not miss any work. There were lots of tasks to finish, including a day spent conducting oral history interviews, labels to stitch on and working with the frame maker to put up the wall hanging.